Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Swap til you Drop

My freezer is FULL right now.  I have so much food, but the best part is that food is literally ready to eat!  I organized a freezer meal swap last week and I'm now stocked with 4 meals for the month that are ready to go.  I used one already last week when the hubs and I went out for dinner and so the babysitter just had to pop it in the oven.  I also made an extra batch of my own meal to store in the freezer.  If you're thinking about hosting a swap, do it!  Here is how I organized mine:

1. I decided a group of 4 would work out well, so I contacted some of my friends who have similar sized families and eating habits, (ie. we're not gourmet chefs, but we all appreciate a good home-cooked meal)

2. We picked a date and time and about a week before the swap we all tried to let eachother know what we would be making.

3. Make your food and freeze it the day before.  This will make the swap much easier and also helps in transporting the food home if there's no chance of it spilling.  Also, labeling your food and heating instructions would be a great bonus.

4. SWAP!  I would try to bring a cooler or a box to transport your food home.

This was seriously so great!  I ended up with a gallon of chili, meatball subs, HOMEMADE calzones (Jenny totally outdid us all!), and a great looking lasagna.  I've already eatn the subs, which were amazing, and the calzones are scheduled for this weekend while I'm out of town so there's a nutrituos meal already for the hubs to feed the kiddos.

No comments: