Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Big Reveal and a New Recipe!

Here's the after shot!  This is probably the worst photo ever taken, but that's all I have right now.  I'm really happy with how the makeover went- if you want to see the before, check out my previous post.  It really does look better in person, I think the photo magnifies my amateur spray-painting status.  The hubby says to let him do it next time.  I think I will!
 And, a yummy new recipe.  I've made about four versions of this dish over the last couple of months, and I think I've perfected it.  I started out with two different recipes, smooshed them together and voila!  I'm not really into Thai food, but this kept getting better the more I tweaked it, so its probably barely Thai food anymore, but we all love it!  I like to make all the ingredients early in the day and then about 20 min. before we eat I start the rice, warm up the sauce and then throw the chicken on the grill.  Recipe after the photos.


Grilled Thai Peanut Curry Chicken &and Rice
Marinade for Chicken:
2 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 c. Peanut Butter
1/4 c. Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
Warm Water to thin sauce- I used between 1/4-1/2 cup

*Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth.  It will be pretty thick at this point.  Slowly add water to thin the sauce down.  It should be the consistency of heavy whipping cream.  Reserve about 1/2 c. marinade and pour remaining over 2 large chicken breasts that have been cut into cubes.  Let marinate for an hour (or more), and then place on skewers and grill until done.  Continue basting with the reserved marinade while grilling.

**NOTE:  The last time I made this I got lazy and just mixed up some sesame oil, vinegar and soy sauce and used that for the marinade and it was just at yummy!

Sauce for Rice
1 c. mild salsa
1/4 c. Peanut Butter
2 Tbsp. Orange Juice
2 Tbsp. Honey
1 tsp. Soy sauce
1-2 Tbsp. Curry Sauce - or more if you like.  Play around with it a bit

*Process in blender or food processor and then place in a small pan and warm thoroughly.  Don't let it boil- peanut butter should not boil!

**NOTE:  The last time I made this I was lazy and didn't feel like dirtying my food processor and just heated everything up.  It tasted JUST as good, although it didn't look quite as pretty!

*Put it all together!  Spoon a bit of rice on your plate, top with sauce, chicken, chopped cilantro and julienned red pepper.  You could forgo the pepper, but please don't skip the cilantro- it is essential!

I'm linked up here: Todays Creative Blog

3 comments:

Aim Aug said...

Cilantro and lime are always essential...I think that's in the scriptures somewhere. Looks so yummy! We'll have to try that one. I wonder if you could cook the chicken in the sauce in the crockpot?

Macy said...

I don't see why you couldn't, but I did love the grill taste! The first few times I made this I didn't grill the chicken, just cooked it in a skillet w/o any marinade and it was still good- and yes, I'm sure there are biblical references to cilantro and lime. Quote me on that!

Mandy said...

i should try this yummy looking meal.

the dress pattern is simplicity 2193. i just got a bunch when they were a buck at joanns. i thought you didn't use patterns.